The theme for ACannabis 2022 was Bridging the gap: evidence, confidence, access. Dive back in to any session with our video library.
Session List – Day 1
- Welcome and Session 1
- Australian medicinal cannabis industry update
- In Conversation: Regulatory landscape & opportunities in the EU medicinal cannabis market
- Managing risk in a complex and evolving environment
- Building modern and efficient supply chains in the medicinal cannabis industry and broader corporate governance issues
- Navigating patient access
- The European medicinal cannabis market in focus
- Fireside chat with Peter Crock, Chair MCIA & Jenn Morris OAM
- Day 1 Closing Comments
Session List – Day 2
- Roundtable – Building Australia’s (Victoria’s) Medicinal Cannabis Export Industry – Focus on Germany/Europe
- Welcome and Session 10
- How the Australian regulatory environment is evolving and implications for patients and industry
- Building evidence to support confidence and access
- Spotlight on R & D – what’s new and emerging in medicinal cannabis research
- The patient access landscape around the globe – how does Australia compare and how can we maximise opportunities?
- Closing Comments
- Cannabis Drying – Maximise Income through Reduction of Terpene & Cannabinoid Loss (sponsored by Scitek)
- Cannabis Irradiation (sponsored by Steritech)
Speaker Presentations – Day 1
Welcome and Session 1
Welcome: Peter Crock, Chair, Medicinal Cannabis Industry Australia
Official Opening: The Hon Dr David Gillespie MP, Minister for Regional Health & Minister Assisting the Minister for Trade and Investment
Australian medicinal cannabis industry update: Australian industry leaders provide insights into expected future trends, how the industry has matured and the changes in the regulatory landscape and patient access. They will also look into Australia’s role in the international landscape. Features presentations from each speaker, followed by a panel discussion.
- Patty Holmes Director, Holmes & Wilson
- Dr Duncan Macinnis, Director Stakeholder Engagement, NSW & ACT, MTPConnect Rhys Cohen, editor-at-large, Cannabiz
- Mark Brayshaw, CEO, LEVIN Health
- Nathan Davis, Chief Operations Officer – Executive Director, MedReleaf Australia Peter Crock, CEO, Cann Group Limited
In Conversation: Regulatory landscape & opportunities in the EU medicinal cannabis market.
- Martin Lane, Founder, Cannabiz
- Nick Pateras Managing Director, Europe Materia
Managing risk in a complex and evolving environment. This session explores different aspects of risk for medicinal cannabis companies. Risk is a challenge for all businesses and industries; however managing risk can be more difficult in emerging sectors such as medicinal cannabis, which often faces limited knowledge and experience and complex regulatory environments.
- Dr Veronica Borrett, ARC ITRH Research Hub for Medicinal Agriculture
- Cory Verconich , Senior Vice President, Cannabis Practice Leader – Marsh
- Daniel Rooney , Managing Principal – Marsh Buying Groups Presentations + Q&A
Building modern and efficient supply chains in the medicinal cannabis industry and broader corporate governance issues
- Veronica Borrett, ARC ITRH Research Hub for Medicinal Agriculture
- Dr Cameron Scadding, Managing Director, SourceCertain, “Our Medicinal Cannabis Industry is Growing Up – Building modern and efficient supply chains in the medicinal cannabis industry”
- Geraldine Farrell, Chief Compliance Officer (CCO),Cann Group, ”Governance growth pains – building good corporate governance practices in a new(ish) industry”
Cannabis Drying – Maximise Income through Reduction of Terpene & Cannabinoid Loss
(presented by Scitek)
Cannabis is traditionally hang-dried in large drying rooms over a long period of typically 8-14 days. Using modern technology, you can eliminate this bottleneck by reducing drying times to under 2 hours whilst boosting cannabinoid and terpene retention, thus dry biomass potency, by more than 20%. Drying systems further require significantly reduced footprint and labour, to reduce your drying cost commonly in excess of 30%.
Navigating patient access: panel discussion with allied professions
- Carol Ireland CEO Epilepsy Action Australia
- Dr Jane Chapman, MBBS, FRACGP Holistic Biomedical, Doctor and Owner, Won Wellness.
- Athena Kolivos, Pharmacist
- Chetna Patel, Pharmacist
- Dr John Lawson B.Med FRACP PhD. Medical Director Rural, Regional, and Remote Clinical Trial Enabling Program Office for Health and Medical Research. Paediatric neurologist at Sydney Children’s Hospital, Randwick and Associate Senior Lecturer, University of NSW.
The European medicinal cannabis market in focus
- Rhys Cohen, editor-at-large, Cannabiz
- Julian Wilches, Chief Regulatory Officer, Clever Leaves – Developments in the European market and opportunities for Australia
- Jan Witte, Independent Expert “Five years medical Cannabis in Germany”
- Peter Crock, Chair, Medicinal Cannabis Industry Australia
- Jenn Morris OAM
Jenn is a Fortescue Metals Group Director, two time Olympic hockey gold medallist and regular medicinal cannabis user. Jenn will share her experience as a passionate medicinal cannabis advocate after turning to medicinal cannabis for relief from chronic pain since suffering a childhood back injury and chronic knee pain from injuries sustained during her hockey career. Jenn believes its benefits could extend to helping some of the world’s top sporting codes deal with an emerging concussion crisis.
Day 1 Closing Comments
Peter Crock, Chair, Medicinal Cannabis Industry Australia
Speaker Presentations – Day 2
Building Australia’s (Victoria’s) Medicinal Cannabis Export Industry – Focus on Germany/Europe
- Dr Cameron Scadding, CEO, Source Certain
- Alfredo Pascual, Vice President of Investment Analysis, Seed Innovations Ltd,
- Rosemary Richards, Executive Manager, MCIA,
- Christine Spahn, Trade Manager UK & Europe, Victorian Government Trade and Investment Office, London
Welcome: Dr Jaroslav Boublik BSc (Hons), PhD (Med), CEO, LeafCann Research & Advisory and Chief Scientist, LeafCann Group
Address: Ged Kearney MP,
How the Australian regulatory environment is evolving and implications for patients and
- Nathan Davis, Chief Operations Officer – Executive Director, MedReleaf Australia
Part 1: Presentations
- Adj Prof John Skerritt, Deputy Secretary for Health Products Regulation, Department of Health Danielle Chifley, Director – Medicinal Cannabis Section, Office of Drug Control, Australian Government Department of Health
- Petra Bismire, Director, Experimental Products Section, Therapeutic Goods Administration
Part 2: Panel Discussion
‘Understanding changes to the process for medicinal cannabis applications and implications for prescribers, patients and sponsors’
- Dr Jamie Rickcord, Director, Ananda Clinics
- Clare Barker, General Manager & Global Business Development Executive, Entoura Elisabetta Faenza, Director, MCIA
Building evidence to support confidence and access
- Rhys Cohen, editor-at-large, Cannabiz
- Dr Rosemary Mazanet, Chief Science Officer, Columbia Care – Evidence for Medicinal Cannabis efficacy for various conditions
- Dr. Adele Hosseini, PhD, Chief Scientific Officer, BOD Australia “Changing landscape in Australia – Patient access, research, evidence and prescriber perception“
- Dr Melinda Thompson Head of Regulatory Affairs & Quality Systems Source Certain – Challenges for medicinal cannabis research
- Kate Mahady, Partner, FB Rice – Offsetting the costs of your R&D and clinical trials – Changes in the Research and Development Tax Incentive program.
Cannabis Irradiation (sponsored by Steritech)
Spotlight on R & D – what’s new and emerging in medicinal cannabis research.
- Professor Iain McGregor, Professor of Psychopharmacology & Academic Director – Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics, University of Sydney
- Dr Sarah Purdy Crop Specialist – Medicinal Cannabis NSW Department of Primary Industries:
- Title: Agronomy, Pathology and Entomology Research to Grow the Medicinal Cannabis Industry
- Dr Elizabeth Cairns, Research Fellow, The Lambert Initiative (University of Sydney
- Title: Medicinal Cannabis Prescribing in Australia: An analysis of trends over the first five years
- Dr Llewellyn Mills, Postdoctoral Researcher, Specialty of Addiction Medicine, University of Sydney
- Title: The Cannabis As Medicine Survey 2020 (CAMS-20): A snapshot of the Australian medical cannabis landscape four years after deregulation
- Sarah Abelev, Research Assistant, The Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics, The University of Sydney
- Title: Treating chronic pain in Australian medicinal cannabis clinics: a ‘balanced’ approach
- Zeeta Bawa, Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics, University of Sydney
- Title: Knowledge, Experiences, and Attitudes of Australian General Practitioners Towards Medicinal Cannabis in Clinical Practice: a Cross-Sectional Survey
- Dr Janet Schloss, Clinical Research Fellow and Lecturer, National Centre for Naturopathic Medicine, Faculty of Health, Southern Cross University.
- Title: A Phase III Double-Blind, Randomised Placebo-Controlled Clinical Trial for CBD for sleep disturbances in a health population. CANN-sleep
- Dr Tom Arkell, Research Fellow, Centre for Human Psychopharmacology, Swinburne University of Technology
- Title: Medical cannabis and driving
The patient access landscape around the globe – how does Australia compare and how can we maximise opportunities?
- Dr Jaroslav Boublik BSc (Hons), PhD (Med), CEO, LeafCann Research & Advisory and Chief Scientist, LeafCann Group
- José Tempero, PharmD MSc, Director, Medical Affairs, Global Tilray
- Rosemary Richards, Executive Manager, MCIA
- Nathan Davis, Executive Director, Chief Operations Officer – Executive Director, MedReleaf Australia